If you’ve been shopping with your eyes, you’ll notice in magazines, catalogs, and stores that there’s a new jean in town! Actually, jeans are forever coming in and out with new styles, washes, and details.
You might be a bit confused at the moment, especially if you’ve relied on one style for two or three years. Can anyone say the word “Skinny”?
New Year, New Jeans. This could be the year you try a new jean style! Here’s a directory that can help you envision what’s out there … find the pair that makes you feel just right!
The flared jean hugs the hips and thighs but then flares out over your boot or heel. No ankles are showing. This jean can be very flattering because it gives the look of long legs. The flared bottom of the jean can go from moderate to wide. Choose what you feel most comfortable in. Frame Denim Le High Flare High Rise Jeans
1. Hem them as long as possible to give yourself the longest looking legs.
2. Wear a chunky bootie or a heeled pump that just peeks out from behind the flare.
3. Pair it with a loose sweater or make it sleek with a long cardigan and printed blouse underneath.
High-rise skinny jeans
The skinny jean continues to be on trend but this year’s skinny comes up to the waist. You can still find skinnies with a lower rise if your figure allows. Advantages of the high skinny are that they show off your waist, add length to your legs, and show more curves. Sky Rise Ankle Rinse Indigo Yoga Jeans
1. A billowy tunic is loose and easy and a great balance for this tight-fitting jean.
2. Tuck in a shirt and add a belt with a great buckle for waist emphasis.
3. Ankle booties are a great choice for this jean as are tall, flat riding boots which will easily fit over the jean. If the hem is showing, consider rolling it slightly (not a full cuff). Heels will dress up your jean outfit. Ballet flats will dress it down.
These jeans are designed to look worn and tattered but you’re still paying the big bucks for those strategic holes and frays. Some styles will expose the knees. Some styles will expose parts of the thigh or shin. Be cautious of overexposure. J Brand Alana cropped distressed high rise skinny jeans
1. A couple of holes and white frayed edges in a distressed jean will work for nearly any age. Save the truly holey ones for the young teens or the rockers.
2. Because they are so informal already, it’s fun to make the top part of your outfit more sophisticated and dressed up for a flirty contrast. Consider wearing them with a crisp white shirt or a camel-colored turtleneck cashmere sweater instead of a flannel shirt.
3. If you’re going for a rocker look, choose to pair this jean with a heavily studded boot with buckle details. For a lady-like look, wear them with classic heels.
This jean is my absolute favourite! I especially love Yoga Jeans … they have a perfect combination of stretch, fit and great colours. wider than a skinny but narrower than a flared jean. It’s an easy jean to reach for when you’re putting together casual work outfits or a sophisticated date outfit for night. The darkest shade will be the most formal or dressy. Choose a lighter shade for more casual looks. High Rise Straight Fit Rinse Indigo Yoga Jeans
1. Keep it casual when you throw on your plaid shirt and moto jacket, cuff your jeans, and lace up your tennis shoes for an easy outfit to meet friends for a Saturday lunch or browse the aisles of a street fair.
2. Get a preppy look when you wear them with a white shirt, navy blazer and laced oxfords.
3. This jean style is so versatile. Wear it with a bootie, high heels or tennis shoes on a three-day weekend to the wine country. Vary your accessories and be prepared to pack light.
Cuffed boyfriend jean
The boyfriend jean has a more relaxed fit and is never flared. The cuff is a very important detail. Roll it one, two, or three times depending on how much ankle you want to show. Because it’s cuffed, your shoe will be on full display. Banana Republic Boyfriend Jeans
1. A great belt is essential if you’re tucking in a shirt. A belt buckle can be the primary focal point in this outfit.
2. Printed blouses in stripes, checks, plaid, or floral is an easy choice. Double up your denim when you layer on a jean jacket.
3. There’s a wide range of ankle boots that will be stellar with this jean. Consider a Chelsea flat boot, a shearling boot, or a bootie with fringe.
Let me know which jean style you like and want to try this year! Let me know in the comments below.