The words “fashion” and “style” get tossed around a lot. How does fashion relate to style and how does style relate to fashion? Do you think they are one and the same? Consider these fashion and style notes before you give your final answer!
Fashion Notes, 1-6
1. A prolific designer, Karl Lagerfeld, says, “Fashion is now and tomorrow. Who cares about the past? Fashion is something people are supposed to consume immediately.”
2. New fashion items come into stores daily. There is never a shortage of fashion.
3. Fashion is meant to expire and move off the store floors. That’s the rhythm of fashion. Marketing for new fashion seasons creates demand for your next purchases.
4. Some people love to be in the latest fashion colours, wear the “jacket” of the season, or own the “it” bag. This person may reinvent herself each season. That could be expensive to do. If this is you and you’re on a budget, consider shopping for some of your high fashion looks at lower prices at stores such as Zara and H&M.
5. The great thing about paying attention to fashion is that it refreshes your style eyes. Suddenly you’re seeing pearls all over the pages of magazines and you remember the pearls that are in your drawer that you aren’t wearing. It inspires you to pull out those items and enjoy them all over again.
6. Fashion has specific marketing cycles. It’s easy to get caught up chasing each fashion cycle and feeling like you need more, more, and more. Stores are open day and night, online shopping is available 24/7 ready to lure you in for retail therapy, using shopping as a pastime, or filling needs other than clothing.
Style Notes, 1-6
1. The late designer, Yves Saint Laurent, who provided us with decades of groundbreaking fashion said, “Fashions fade, style is eternal.”
2. Style is how you choose to express yourself in the world. Fashion gives you the tools to express yourself and your style with clarity. There’s a big difference between choosing a black trench coat, a red one, or one with leopard spots. You know which one’s best for your personal style.
3. Personal style never expires; it evolves. It takes some soul-searching to figure it out. Once you’ve defined it in words, you can use fashion to translate it. Your style may change over the years. Paying attention to it, reviewing it and making adjustments to it will keep you empowered.
4. When you understand your style, you’ll be savvy about how you spend money on clothing. What could be a trend for one person could be an important contribution to another person’s style expression. For example, a fringed jacket could be a one-season wonder but for someone who has a free spirited, rebellious element to her, a fringed jacket could be the perfect addition to her wardrobe. If you’re expressing your style, don’t be afraid to spend money on quality pieces that speak to you. When you wear them a lot, the cost-per-wear will make them bargains!
5. Style lovers express their style in all wardrobe categories from work to play to evening. Their passion is creating more and more clarity so they establish a signature style. Soon every time you think of that person, you think of their style. They go together seamlessly. It’s a prized possession and can be a valuable asset in life.
6. Style comes from a quality within you. It’s a combination of your preferences, your experiences, and your lifestyle. As you understand your style, the garments hanging in your closet or the jewelry in your jewelry box, will all be things that add to and support your style. When it comes to getting dressed, you can feel utterly confident that you are expressing the best of who you are.
Book now for a Virtual Style Consultation to define and develop your style. You’ll be able to utilize the best of fashion to get the most enjoyment out of your wardrobe.