The award season starts at the beginning of the year. All eyes will be on the stars watching for fashion hits and misses. Luckily most of us will never feel the pressure of walking the red carpet with millions of people watching. While we’re wearing our pajamas and slippers, eating popcorn in front of the TV, they are maneuvering high heels, gowns they could trip on, and the possibilities of being featured on the worst dressed list in the next weekly tabloid.
While we’re taking in the spectacles of music, TV, and movie award’s shows, here are some things we can learn from those red carpet warriors.
1. Is your special occasion dress one that can hold up to many hours of being in the spotlight? Consider investing in a dress or dressy suit that is made in a fabric that will repel creases and wrinkles. A jersey or silk chiffon would make a great choice.
2. If you choose to wear a black dress and black isn’t your best color, be sure to add accessories that relate to your hair or eye color so it ties into your face and brings attention to your smile.
3. If you have an era that you love, go for it! Don’t be afraid to stand out in styles that hearken back to the 40s, 50s, 60s, etc. You might want to include one modern element to your outfit – hair, makeup, an accessory – to avoid looking like everything came from an antique store.
4. Good posture does a lot to make any outfit look great. Stand up straight! You may also feel more confident wearing body shapers under your outfit. This added support will encourage you to walk with confidence.
5. You can always count on classic silhouettes to create a great look. Think of movie stars like Grace Kelly and Audrey Hepburn from the past or Jennifer Aniston or Charlize Theron from current times. Well-fitting tailored separates can be stunning with a simple pump and sparkly handbag for date nights or special occasions.
6. Be realistic about your shoe choices. If you’re going to be standing around a high top table sipping champagne and nibbling on appetizers, will your feet be happy for more than an hour? You may want to adjust your outfits and consider which shoes are good for thirty minutes, two hours or four hours. Plan accordingly.
7. Accessories need to complement not complicate your outfit. Too many unrelated elements can destroy a great look. Check your handbag, necklace, earrings, and bracelets and be sure they “play” well together.
8. Sparkles go a long way to creating a special mood. A sparkly top, bag, earring or shoe may be all you need to take a daytime outfit into an evening one. Take a look in your closet and see what you already own. Do you have some dazzlers that will perfectly enhance the occasion? Pull them out and let the festivities begin!
Let me help you make some wise fashion choices. A few go-to outfits you can count on can make you feel excited about upcoming events and special dates. Say yes to that invitation and know you’re ready for good times ahead.